Thursday, May 22

Mister Black & Other Favorite Models


Mister Black with Red Pear
23.5 x 23.5"
oil on wood


OK I finally did a bigger painting. You had to know it was coming. I'm pretty jazzed again, too. It took much more time and there is much more to it. Bummer you cannot tell by the photo. Maybe I will give you some more detailed photos tomorrow. But maybe not, because I am so jazzed about painting right now, I may get into another one and not want to stop.

Mister Black and that huge rumpus of his. The red pear I got at the fruit market had hips that reminded me of Mister Black's hips. I like round things like that and like horses bellies. Oh and horses noses. Those huge round live holes. I will probably be painting horses soon as my other dear friend has horses. Am I the luckiest person alive or what?

Anyway this painting has another version of Sallie's kitchen wall, this time in a dark ultramarine blue. Mister Black is dark purple and ultramarine blue. He is very dramatic and seems to know he is helping earn his keep by modeling. I have been wanting to paint my dog but I am still too angry with her to paint her kindly. I had to bail her out of dog jail last week. She ran away when the door was left unlatched and we looked everywhere. Fortunately the animal shelter picked her up but unfortunately we had to pay a fine because we did not realize that in our neat little town you not only have to have a rabies vaccine license, you have to have a dog license. In the deep southern swamplands of Georgia you just get a dog and give her some food and hope the gators don't get her and that's it.

Harry and I have been talking a lot about aesthetics and art criticism. Harry used to teach that it is possible to say whether art is good or not but the past few years he insists that you can't. Well the other night we were talking about an artist and he vehemently declared that artist's work was a bunch of bs. So I questioned him about it & he restated his stance. He said he thinks that you can tell if a person has sold out and isn't being true and honest. You can tell when the painting isn't about art, when there was no attempt at making something truthful.

I am going to try to set this blog so my Dear Readers can post comments to this. I'd enjoy reading your thoughts, although I pretty much think Harry is right. I think a person has a right to paint whatever they want to paint [duh] but I have the right to decide if I think it contains anything that makes it worth my time to look at. [also duh] And you?

PS. GUESS WHAT?!!! You can't buy Mister Black with Red Pear @ Etsy ! because when I woke up this morning he had already sold!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5/23/2008

    A comment on my own post. Another thing I disagree with Harry on one point - I don't think you can discern someone's motive for painting - maybe to alter what he said a bit I think you can pick up on clues to what might be a sell-out or bs motive in another person's art but you never really know their inside gut motives. [also duh]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the same with writing- what is a message in a story for one person, could be completely different for another based on their experiences. Of course in school they teach 'this work of fiction has this message', but who said? Cliff's notes aside (giggle) Is it not up to the beholder what they take away from it? The writer and the reader have different life experiences and points of view.

    ReplyDelete