Thursday, June 12

Mister Black Takes a Big Step



Mister Black's Step
12 x 12"
oil on canvas board

Harry is back. [woohoo!] He was unable to access the internet all week so today he got caught up on my week's worth of paintings/bloggings. As usual he knocks my sox off with his simple yet piercing perceptions.

The issue of Mister Black's flatness vs the patterney painterliness of everything else. If Mr. B is the focal point, then why is he played down?

Then he pointed out his favorite thing I did while he was gone - the foot in the orchid painting. So I stuck in the foot in this painting and, sorry, but copied Susan Rothenberg's horse foot. Mister B is always stepping into my business.

It is so obvious now - why I never thot of it - well I did think of putting in just parts of him but this is just the best description of life with Mister Black.













The foot stepping into everything.

I am trying out some new canvas boards. This one is 12 x 12" and painted very thickly in parts and thinly in other parts so you do see the tooth of the canvas. Not sure if I like it or not. Coating the next one with lots of gesso.

We will talk more later about areas of flat black and Mister Black but I've got to get dinner started so while I cook,








you
can go
shopping
@ Etsy!

3 comments:

  1. Well, black cats are so powerful of an image and either thought of in a negative or positive light. No middle ground with them for people it seems. So, Perhaps not modeling him says something - or doesn't say anything because it doesn't need to be said. Just my thoughts, does harry thing I am nuts or is it the Lyme?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, and him not being modelled, really kind of makes him stand out more, ironic, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I must have Lyme, too because I agree. No middle ground - brilliant. I will have to contemplate this issue in paint, apparently....

    ReplyDelete