Tuesday, June 10

When Paintings Talk...


Mister Black with Red Buds
22 x 23.75"
oil on wood panel

I know this one is sudden but you never know what the muses are going to dish out. I was planning on working in the garden and photographing some fresh buds and waving green appendages but I kept wandering back to this painting and trying to figure out what it needed.

For one thing I have been having problems with my greens. Just not happy with the colors I'm getting. I have suspected it was somehow the nature of the water-based oils I am using but I don't want to give them up. So I put down my brushes and went to the art supply store. I brought home some sap green. It was in the higher priced color series so of course it worked and I love it. Sheesh.

The other problems I was having were just that the colors didn't go together that I thought I wanted to use. So do I do what I want or do what I like? See how hard it is to be an artist? Oh how we suffer! I ended up repainting almost every object in the painting. Except of course for Mister Black. For several paintings now he has been pure dioxazine purple.

No really, no black at all.










Then I got to this point where I was beginning to write my blog in my head. Haha I thought of all the sassy quotes artists make about how they know they are done with a painting. I bet no artist has ever said they know they are done when they start thinking about what they are going to say in their blog. I noticed that the painting was starting to talk to me and I liked what it was saying so that was another cue.

Well we are all really tired here from all this modeling and painting & the cats are calling me in to take a nap.

If you like the nice expensive green & luminous orchid lights please ...
Go buy this painting @ Etsy... Mister Black and Doodle are petitioning for canned salmon so, hey, buy a couple ...

No comments:

Post a Comment