Thursday, October 23

Guerrilla Garage Art


Guerrilla Garage Art / Children's Art Gallery!

These are photos of the garage Smilin' Bill's grand- daughters painted. Man I love this! The scale is so grand and their brush strokes so free and full of heartfelt pure spirit! They haven't yet been taught to worry about the shoulds; kids just paint from their heart!

Lots of people have been telling me about these little pink notices they have been getting from our city telling them to paint their garage. When Smilin' got his little pink notice he painted it white [the garage, not the notice] and then asked his granddaughters to decorate it. He gave them a few cans of "$5. Whoops Paint" from Lowes, a few $1.00 paint brushes, a step ladder, and they did the rest. I think they have started a movement. I HOPE they have started a movement!!!

My son is a Guerrilla Urban Farmer. He plants seeds in vacant lots in areas that he walks by. What a way to proactively affect your daily environment. His walk to work is also his time to check on his planting projects. Not to mention he just improved the neighborhood!

Anyway, as a long-time lover of children's art I can't tell you how jazzed I am about Smilin's Guerrilla Garage Art Idea. You can never seem to find enough canvas for kids to paint, to really stretch their arms and paint from their guts. What better synergistic plan than to give them your pink-slipped garage?

I am tempted to start an official Guerilla Garage Art Blog. Help people in town who have gotten pink-slipped to connect with kids looking for a place to paint. Maybe people who have partly-used paint would donate to the movement. Maybe whole neighborhoods could have the backs of their garages Guerrilla Arted and a Drive thru Guerrilla Garage Alley Gallery Movement would take over Troy!

Hmmm... the old ticker is cranking away on this one. Click the Post Title where it says Guerrilla Garage Art and you will be able to comment. Let's see what happens next..........

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10/28/2008

    The art pictured above was created by my children. My eight year old painted the "I Love You" Circle. My father or as you know him "Smilin Bill" took this project on all by himself (Brave Man to supervise 4 kids with paint brushes going in 4 different directions). I left for work one morning and came home to a wonderfully diverse display of art that was once a garage, a bathtub full of multicolored, semi-painted children, and a moderately exhausted grandpa :) I think the greatest thing of all was to experience first hand the creativity and excitment of my children upon working on such a project. They were sooooo pleased with themselves as they showed me their creations and explained their work to me. Grandpa was taken by their use of texture and the methods they utilized in their creations as well. It was a wonderful experience and I would encourage anyone to try it and see what marvels may arise out of some mistinted paint, disposable paintbrushes, and the imaginations of children... You may be pleasently suprised!

    ReplyDelete